Friday, March 11, 2016

Architecture Preview

Strong National Museum of Play:

1. CJS Architects
2. 2006
3. Rochester, New York
4. You can visit it
5. No
6. The building was created to house toy collections, but then became a museum.
7. I chose this building mostly because it looks super cool and creative. I've never really seen a building look like this before and I also really like the colors!!

Nautilus House

1. Javier Senosiain
2. 2006
3. Near Mexico City
4. You can visit it
5. $218,000
6. The only reason why it was built is so the architect could make a building that looked like a shell.
7. I really love everything about this house. I love the shape and the super unique idea, and the stained glass is really cool, and must look even cooler on the inside of the house. The inside of the house has really cool steps that also look like shells too!!

Atomium














1. Andre Waterkeyn and Jean Polak
2. 1958
3. Brussels, Belgium
4. You can visit it
5. $93,513
6. Built for the 1958 Brussels World Fair
7. I chose the building again because it was an interesting shape, and it also kind of reminded me of a ferris wheel. I also did more research and found out that it takes over $10,000 to clean it every 6 months or so, which was interesting.

Eden Project











1. Nicholas Grimshaw
2. 2003
3. Cornwall, England
4. You can visit it
5. 140 million pounds
6. Built to house plants and become a tourist attraction.
7. I chose this building because I actually visited it when I was about seven. I liked it a lot back then because from the outside I thought the domes looked like bubble wrap, and I loved flowers and plants and stuff back then so the inside was really interesting. There was also a giant sculpture of a bee which I thought was the coolest thing when I was seven.

UFO Houses













1. Yu-chou Co
2. 1978
3. New Taipei City, Taiwan
4. They were all demolished in 2010, but you could visit before then.
5. $24 million
6. Built to become a hotel, construction never finished.
7. I chose these buildings because I love abandoned buildings so the appearance interested me. As I did more research I learned that as they were building the houses there were multiple suicides, car accidents, and murders on the construction site. People said they were caused because at the beginning of construction they had to demolish a statue of a Chinese dragon and the construction site was now cursed, and other people said that many Dutch soldiers were buried in the area.

No comments:

Post a Comment